Our comparison table below covers all the important specifications of each camera. Below that, we specifically talk about the new improvements and which model is better suited for your needs.
Canon T6s Canon 77D
Megapixels 24.2 24.2
Sensor Type CMOS CMOS
Sensor Format APS-C APS-C
Crop Factor 1.6x 1.6x
AA Filter Yes Yes
Image Resolution 6000 x 4000 6000 x 4000
Body Image Stabilization No Yes (Movie only)
Lens Mount Canon EF/EF-S Canon EF/EF-S
ISO 100 - 12,800 100 - 25,600
Expanded ISO 25,600 51,200
AF Points 19 45
Cross-type AF Points 19 45
Continuous Mode 5fps 6fps
LCD 3.0" - Fully Articulated 3.0" - Fully Articulated
LCD Resolution 1,040,000 dots 1,040,000 dots
Touchscreen Yes Yes
Focus Peaking No No
Top LCD Display Yes Yes
Viewfinder Type Optical Optical
Viewfinder Coverage 95% 95%
Viewfinder Magnification 0.82x 0.82x
Video Resolution 1920x1080 (30/25/24p) 1920x1080 (60/50/30/25/24p
1280x720 (60/50p) 1280x720 (60/50p)
Microphone Jack Yes Yes
Headphone Jack No No
Memory Card Type SD SD
Dual Card Slots No No
SD UHS Support UHS-I UHS-I
Fastest Shutter Speed 1/4000 1/4000
Slowest Shutter Speed 30" 30"
Bulb Mode Yes Yes
JPEG Buffer Size Unlimited Unlimited
RAW Buffer Size 6 27
Time Lapse No Yes
Built-in Flash Yes Yes
Max Flash Sync Speed 1/200 1/200
Startup Time 0.9s x
Built-in Wi-Fi Yes Yes
Built-in GPS No No
Built- in NFC Yes Yes
Bluetooth No Yes
USB Type USB 2.0 USB 2.0
Environmentally Sealed No No
Battery Life (CIPA) 440 shots 600 shots
Battery Included Yes (LP-E17) Yes (LP-E17)
Weight 19.8 oz (560g) 19.0 oz (540g)
Size 5.2 x 4.0 x 3.1" 5.2 x 3.9 x 3.0"
Price Amazon Amazon
Release Date 2015 2017
Canon T6s Advantages:
- Less Expensive – The T6s body costs around $150 less
The T6s is a good camera but the 77D is an even better replacement, so the only advantage is the lower price.
Canon 77D Advantages:
- Body Image Stabilization – The Canon 77D has video stabilization which helps a lot if you don’t have a lens with IS, but it doesn’t work for photographs.
- ISO – 51,200 vs 25,600. Higher maximum ISO sensitivity.
- AF Points – 45 vs 19.
- Cross-type AF Points – 45 vs 19. Cross-type AF Points are much more accurate and faster in low light.
- Continuous mode – 6fps vs 5fps. It’s an advantage, but not something you will really notice that often.
- RAW Buffer Size – 27 vs 6.
- Bluetooth Support
- Battery Life – 600 shots vs 440 shots.
The Canon 77D replaces the T6s and is worth paying more for. You get 5-axis video stabilization, 1 stop higher ISO, way more cross-type AF points, slightly faster burst mode, better RAW buffer and even longer battery life (about time, since 440 is quite poor).